Tuesday, January 09, 2007

"The Monk and the Hare."

Keeps running through my head as the title of a fable, but I can't seem to find it. Perhaps I just made it up. Still, it seems important to me now, so I'll bother spending some effort on it - even if it isn't real.

If you can create an impression of value in something, then that impression tends to perpetuate itself. In Japan, for example, the Kit Kat chocolate bar sells out before every exam period, as it is considered a lucky charm for students. Many people have attributed this phenomenon to the similarity between "Kit Kat" and a Japanese phrase for good luck, "Kitto Kattsu". But if the only reason is linguistic, why did it take 70 years of Kit Kats being available for people to notice the connection?

Simple. The chocolate maker created an impression of value in the product.

Does this relate to any actual value? Of course not. But people are still buying Kit Kats.

No comments: